Thursday, May 21, 2009

William's Journey to the Holy Land Pt. 1

UNIGLOBE Geo Travel's Managing Partner & CEO William Hsu recently returned home from a Pilgrimage to the Holy Land. William shares his experience with us in Part 1 of this entry:

The following is a casual email type diary that I have kept.

It's just a 1 min walk from the guest house (ran by sisters from a French order), and it’s very noisy in this area. The Damascus gate leads into the Muslim area and that's where we are located. While I am here, it reminds me how so very thankful I am for living in Canada....... we have the best place in the world!

April 28th

We arrived safe and sound and I met up with Fr. Dave at the airport and took a cab together. We walked around the old city of Jerusalem with Fr. Tim and Fr. Daryold. The guest house that we are staying is just across the road from the 'old Damascus gate". I had spaghetti and mint tea at the Christian quarter of the old city tonight. It’s the Jewish holiday starting tonight for one day (like the Independence Day) and we saw the West or Wailing wall with lots of people celebrating.

I have the biggest room on the top floor which is meant for a triple with 3 small beds and it’s very clean here, a place run by Franciscan Nuns. There are probably 50 guests staying here including an Italian tour group. It has the smallest shower I have ever used though. I am sitting right by my door because the Wifi is only available around the staircase outside my room and I can barely get it on my laptop.

The temperature is very pleasant here but I need my jacket to walk around with. I will do some reading and sleep. Breakfast will be at 7 and mass at 8. The 3 of them will celebrate mass at St. Ann tomorrow morning which is an old church built by the crusaders from the 16th century I think........the regular French Mass is 6:30 but Fr. Tim 'reserved" an 8 o'clock for us.


- William

No comments: